Monday, January 24, 2011

Twice Around The Block


My parents live in Missouri. My Dad has numerous health challenges and requires constant care. My dear mother is the one who provides that care. Last spring Mom was standing on Dad's wheelchair ramp that had a thin layer of dew on it. Her feet flew out from underneath her and she fell HARD! She was taken to the ER where she was told she just had some severe bruising. "Go home and rest". After a few days she was really hurting and not able to take care of Dad. I flew over to help out. Mom was not doing well at all. She couldn't even get out of bed, the slightest movement caused her terrible pain. I called an ambulance to take her to a different hospital and have her checked out. She had FIVE broken ribs! Poor lady. I've since learned that it is almost impossible to see rib fractures on an x-ray until they start to heal, then the calcification shows up. But come on, with that knowledge and her age you'd think they would at least follow-up. Jeez.

Mom spent five days in the hospital and I spent that time learning just what a big job she has in caring for my Dad. Once I got the routine down and chores caught up, I was looking for something creative to do. I'd been wanting to learn to make some of the cute fabric flowers I'd seen on several blogs but, the little town they live in has no fabric stores. None. Nothing. I finally had the idea to go to a thrift shop to buy something lovely to make into something lovelier. It was so much fun. I was feeling pretty happy about that and finally had something to do while Dad slept.

I was cutting a men's wool sport coat apart when I got the idea that it would make a pretty cool bag. Especially if I incorporated the pockets into the design. I had a blast with it. They were a big hit with friends and family back home. I decided to try to sell them at our local Farmer's market. Since I make most of my items from previously loved clothing, I named my business 'Twice Around the Block'.
I also make custom orders. A bag and/or flower pin made from the clothes of a loved one who has passed on makes a lovely memento for a daughter or grand-daughter.
As with any other craft I've ever loved, I'm VERY good at step one; Gathering Materials. I have an unhealthy inventory of thrift store finds in my sewing room. With Farmer's market closed for the winter the pile thins ever so slowly. Maybe it's time for me to get them on Etsy...

1 comment:

  1. Got your card today...boy oh boy your family is growing. I just had to check out your blog. I can visit with you now and have a cup of tea. Great job on the blog and the flowers are beautiful, bags too. I too, have made bags with mens'suit jackets and used the pocket. Very nice Deana H. Keep up the blogging.

    ReplyDelete